Thursday 17 January 2013

{Private collection} Unpackaged

At the end of each day, I am shocked at the amount of waste we produce as a family of 4. It’s mostly all food packaging: wrappers, containers, packets and useless plastic. On saturday I went to my friend A's new Kickashna Gym Club (more to come on that when I can get some decent photographs together). Across the road from her place, near Hackney's London Fields, I came across Unpackaged
Unpackaged, is a zero packaging grocery store, hipster style. It used to be in Islington and has now moved to a more spacious home, complete with a café and bar.

The concept is simple: you reduce your waste and only buy what you use. Bring your own containers and get refills for everything: liquids (olive oil, wine, juices), cupboard essentials (flour, rice, pasta...), pulses,  household products (washing up liquid, soaps), home made jams, cheese, toiletries... 

{Private collection} Unpackaged

I couldn't help but think that it is a modern version of the traditional "hanout" from my native Morocco. Imagine a man standing in a 4 square metres space, and somehow he has anything you might need to cook from scratch. You can swap your own containers or get his for a deposit.
{Private collection} Unpackaged Morrocan corner shop
Although it is difficult for Unpackaged to compete on price with larger distributors, it is cheaper than buying packaged products in your standard corner shop. Next time I go to the gym I will take 5 containers for refills, and maybe grab a coffee. I must remember to get a travel mug. Although I could just have a nice coffee at a table! All by myself...

                  ♥

4 comments:

  1. This is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! They should have small outlets everywhere!

      Delete
  2. Jen Williams18 January, 2013

    This has to be the future... one day we will all laugh at how we filled the green bins outside our houses. I'm about to google to find out where my nearest is. premium? or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is only one at the moment with plans to open 2 more: Clapham and Soho.

      Delete

I would love to hear what you think

Pin It button on image hover